Sacred Heart's Creation Care Team
Laudato Si'/ On Care for Our Common Home is the appeal from Pope Francis addressed to "every person living on this planet" for an inclusive dialogue about how we are shaping the future of our planet. Pope Francis calls the Church and the world to acknowledge the urgency of our environmental challenges and to join him in embarking on a new path.
There is a growing sensitivity to the environment and the need to protect nature, along with a growing concern, both genuine and distressing, for what is happening to our planet. Our goal is not to amass information, or to satisfy curiosity, but rather to become painfully aware, to dare to turn what is happening to the world into our own personal suffering, and thus to discover what each of us can do about it.
We have been challenged to protect our common home. Challenged to seek ways to bring the whole human family together. To seek ways of development that are both sustainable and will enrich the world we live in.
The Laudato Si' Action Committee seeks to create a deeper awareness of environmental stewardship in the parish and its extended family; to encourage good stewardship practices in our parish and in our homes. To educate the community by presenting the church teaching on care for creation. We will work on ways to improve our care of the environment around us and to reduce our carbon footprint. We will strive to provide resources to enable parishioners to live in response to Pope Francis’ call to action. We will work toward Caring for Creation so that future generations will have a healthy planet.
Please join in this commitment to living Laudato Si'. We welcome anyone interested in incorporating Creation Care into their own lives and helping the parish and community grow in this commitment. We are currently meeting on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays.
We are currently working on two projects:
- Gardens in the parking lot- over time we will be creating gardens throughout the grassy areas of the parking lot to help with the erosion and runoff. The gardens will be native plants and pollinators. Once the first garden is complete, we will ask groups of volunteers to create other gardens. If you are interested contact us.
- Rain barrels at all the downspouts.
To read the encyclical go to https://laudatosi.com/
Laudato Si' Goals
- Response to the Cry of the Earth(greater use of clean renewable energy and reducing fossil fuels in order to achieve carbon neutrality, efforts to protect and promote biodiversity, guaranteeing access to clean water for all, etc.)
- Response to the Cry of the Poor (defense of human life from conception to death and all forms of life on Earth, with special attention to vulnerable groups such as indigenous communities, migrants, children at risk through slavery, etc.)
- Ecological Economics(sustainable production, Fair-trade, ethical consumption, ethical investments, divestment from fossil fuels and any economic activity harmful to the planet and the people, investment in renewable energy, etc.)
- Adoption of Simple Lifestyles(sobriety in the use of resources and energy, avoid single-use plastic, adopt a more plant-based diet and reduce meat consumption, greater use of public transport and avoid polluting modes of transportation, etc.)
- Ecological Education(re-think and re-design educational curricula and educational institution reform in the spirit of integral ecology to create ecological awareness and action, promoting the ecological vocation of young people, teachers and leaders of education etc.)
- Ecological Spirituality(recover a religious vision of God’s creation, encourage greater contact with the natural world in a spirit of wonder, praise, joy and gratitude, promote creation-centered liturgical celebrations, develop ecological catechesis, prayer, retreats, formation, etc.)
- Emphasis on Community involvement and participatory action to care for creation at the local, regional, national and international levels (promote advocacy and people’s campaigns, encourage rootedness in local territory and neighborhood ecosystems, etc.)